Friday, June 11, 2010

Island Park!


I thought I'd be proactive and help with the organizing this year. So I tried to put some things together, I hope nobody minds.

Check-in at our cabin is at 4:00pm on Monday (the 26th) and we check out at 11:00am on Saturday the 31st. We also have three birthdays up there! Kimball - 26th, Austin - 27th, and Erika - 29th.

Sleeping Arrangements:
This is what Lauren's initial suggestions were:
Main floor: King (Dad), Queen and bunk (Nikki), Queen and bunk (Erika)
Upper level: King and single (Breanne)
Basement: 2 bunks (Adam), Queen and bunk (Lauren), 2 Queens (Lynne), Queen, bunk, 2 couch sleepers (Jacque)
Would anyone rather have something else?

Eating Arrangements:
Last year each of us girls took a day to give breakfast and lunch to the non-Utahns (plus Adam). I think it was weird trying to separate our assigments into specific days... I noticed that people seemed to wake up/eat at different times and people just sort of ate what was there. So this year maybe we could all contribute to a communal breakfast and lunch stockpile for Dad, Kathy, Lynne, Don, and Adam? And then whenever they get hungry they can just head over and eat what they want. Does that sound like a good idea?

Last year we didn't assign someone to make a dinner our first night there because we were all arriving at different times. I think this year we should assign that first night, since we have two fewer days this year to spend together (that means we'd need to make 5 dinners up there, Monday through Friday). I think I'd like to take Tuesday night for dinner, but I'm willing to negotiate. Does anyone else have a preference as to what night they'd like to do it? I'm thinking of making chicken and rice again this year (with a cranberry sauce this time), but I did chicken and rice last year... am I hogging the easiest thing to make? We have 27 people to feed (not including two infants).

Activities:
This is the part that I'm not sure about. I'm assuming we'll hit Yellowstone, but I'm not sure what else people want to do. Have you guys already been thinking of activities? Since Doug won't be able to go very far, and since Erika and Doug won't be there until Tuesday night, should we try to do something more rigorous on Tuesday when they won't be there?

Links:
Here is a link to the cabin we are staying in:
http://www.islandparkidaho.com/OutlandPhotos/OutlandPines.html

Here is a link to Island Park activities from the cabin's website:
http://www.islandparkidaho.com/Island_Park_Idaho.html

Maps of Island Park (Lynne has contacted them for a map on how to get to our cabin, we are still waiting on that):
http://www.islandparkidaho.com/maps.html

Questions for everyone:
Is anyone planning on coming late or leaving early? I know that Erika is thinking she won't be able to come up until Tuesday night after 7:00pm.
Is the communal breakfast/lunch idea okay?
What night would you like to make dinner (girls)?
Dad, Kathy, Lynne, Don, and Adam: what do you like for breakfast/lunch? Cereal, fruit, sandwiches, soups? Anything else?
Any concerns with the room arrangments?
Activity ideas?

I am insecure about posting all this for some reason, so again I hope nobody minds.
- Bre

8 comments:

Barney Family said...

Thanks for the initiative, Bre!! I was thinking of doing a taco salad or tacos one night, preferable Thursday or Friday.

Barney Family said...

P.S., we were thinking of borrowing a trailer and bringing up everyone's bikes. The littlest kids probably couldn't go very far, but we might want to do a bike ride one day--or just let the kids putt around the area.

Jacque said...

Here are some activities I've found: Yellowstone has a Junior Ranger program for kids ages 5-12. There are also lots of horsebackriding groups. Playmill (located in West Yellowstone) is showing Beauty and the Beast on Thur. at 6pm and has a Belle tea party pre-show at 4:45. The Island Park Reservoir has guided boat rides, tubing, swimming and fishing. I think Dad will want to check out Johnny Sacks cabin at Big Springs--way cool carpentry. I'm guessing our cabin is close to the one on this link, it was hard to find on the other map. http://www.summerwindcabin.com/map.html
But Kimball says he wants to just sit around and read a book all day...

Ross and Kathy said...

Besides Lauren, does anyone else realize that Kathy and I; plus Lynne and Don; plus anyone else who wants to ARE arriving Sunday! So, check-in is anytime after 4pm on Sunday. Anyone who wants to get up at 3am on Monday morning will have a place to rest all day Monday.
I like Jacques idea of Johnny Sacks cabin. Lynne and Don are renting an SUV so they can take people with them (so folks can divide up if they want).
Good Job Bre

Hugs from mom said...

Thanks guys for taking the initiative to get the planning going. I just skimmed through this real quick and it looks like you guys have some good ideas. I'll put more thought into it in the next few days and get back with any ideas I might have.

Nikki Jenson said...

I am suggesting that although we like to cook 'special' meals for each other that we focus on keeping it simple. (Especially after my 'Pioneer' experience!) I might pre-freeze a stew and bring it since it was such a simple success for me on Trek.

Jacque said...

That sounds yummy Nikki! I was thinking of making chicken fajitas. I might take Monday cause I think I'm going to drive up Sunday. Then, my stuff will be out of the fridge.

Don and Lynne said...

Thanks Bre. Don and I are cool about the communal breakfast/lunch idea. We'll get back to you soon about what our preferences are. As Ross mentioned we are renting a SUV to help out with transportation up there and for the fun of sharing rides.