Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Latest Work


This piece is Box Elder Burl from Utah, which I purchased in LA. The wood is dull white and not very pretty, so after shaping the outside form and then hollowing, I added color. First, a reddish brown to the inside, the top and bottom, and a little around the holes. Then bright red over the brown and beyond onto more bare area. Then orange beyond that, and finally yellow. Some of the brown sprayed to the inside bled through the wood and created streaks that highlighted the grain - that's called dumb luck. Applying all the color to the outside took about 15 minutes - then I realized adding more would not be good - more luck. Anyway, I'm really pleased with it and plan to enter it into the county fair this summer.

5 comments:

Ross and Kathy said...

Oops, these were supposed to be on Ross & Kathy's blog. Oh well.

Hugs from mom said...

Wow! Looks great!

Jacque said...

i love the holes! what a work of art!

Nikki Jenson said...

Beautiful! I love it! When is it coming to my house again?

Erika said...

Love it!!