Wednesday, May 6, 2009

battle wounds

How come nobody ever puts punching bag, jungle gym, or crash test dummy in with the list of descriptions of what a mother is? Everyday I am climbed on, crashed into, stepped on, pinched, headbutted, thrown at, hit, and occasionally bit or get my hair pulled, while at the same time trying to step cautiously through a mine field of toys though I always manage to step on those little matchbox cars with the sharp edges (the worst is the ones hiding beneath soft looking blankets so conveniently scattered at random on the floor). And not to mention all the elbows, hands, and knees that think my stomach, chest, or hips are convenient anchoring points for them to get more comfortable.

Now that it's warmer weather I look at the kids' legs with clusters of bruises and think, man, what they go through in a day and then I realize that my legs look just as bad, not to mention arms, hips, thighs, feet, well, you get the picture. Anyway, I guess now I know why I try and spend as much time as possible secluded on the couch-- it's pure defense.

4 comments:

Barney Family said...

yah, yah, that's why I spend so much time on the couch, too!

Hugs from mom said...

I was trying to think of something funny to say but I just can't. That's the way it is, every day, and at the end of the day we pick it all up and enjoy an hour or two of peace to try and gear ourselves up to do it all over again the next day.

At some point they trade in all that physical abuse for a myriad of afterschool activities so then you'll be longing for a couch to escape to when you're driving all over town every afternoon.

I'm not much comfort am I? Okay, between you and me, I prefer the driving around.

Ross and Kathy said...

I recommend military gear - you know - combat boots - flack jacket - helmet - that kind of stuff. :-)

Nikki said...

Erika! I can see right through your comment!