Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Nikki's D.C. weekend with 'BFF' Kelly

My dentist finished putting a crown on my back tooth last Thursday before I flew out which made an unbearable night's sleep, and worse, an 11 hour travel time with two dizzying flights on Friday. I got to the hotel before Kelly but they wouldn't let me in the room because I wasn't on the reservation. So they offered me water! Great! I'm hung-over, dizzy, vomitous, exhausted, on the verge of passing out and they offer me water! I was a little miffed until they handed me this glass jar of water. It was so pretty, I was immediately mesmerized. Entranced I found my way to their cafe and ate a wonderful salad and stared between the view out the window and the view of this lovely little vassssssse of water! Isn't it pretty. (I got the last one too!)
After we settled into our darling little room Friday night, we walked up the street and ate at a sweet Italian cafe, out on the patio. It was great weather, although incredibly humid. After eating we headed off to the National Mall to see the D.C. memorial, the WWII Memorial, and the Lincoln Memorial. Kelly lost 85 lbs since I saw her at my wedding last August. Way to go! She looks great! (I am signing up for the gym today!)

I think memorials are weird. They make you ask yourself some hard questions. But thinking about the way we memorialize things that are important to us, it seems a normal human behavior. The question begs, why was this so important to someone? Immediately a feeling of reverence for someone else's experience comes over you as you try to understand what they may have felt to find so much importance in what was memorialized. Kelly's biggest priority was to see the WWII Memorial, and I think for the reason that her brother was a veteran. I think somehow his service was ultimately the reason for him becoming so sick before he eventually died as a result of it a few years ago.
Reflecting on life still doesn't stop you from being silly from time to time. We sat here for a moment taking a bunch of self portraits and laughing our heads off. Such weird girls!

I think the Lincoln Memorial has always been one of my favorites. I have always admired our "Founding Fathers", but especially Abraham Lincoln. He look so astute here. And apparently 'he does not lie'! (I can't wait to see that movie - Night at the Museum II!)

After spending all day Saturday shopping, we relaxed at yet another Italian restaurant, and made goofy poses sipping our drinks. Never a dull moment! (Except for waiting for each other to get out of the dressing room a hundred times!)

If you can even believe it we went shopping AGAIN after dinner Saturday night for another hour or more until we came back to the hotel to try everything on again and 'fashion show' for each other. Which only made us jealous that the other person found something that we wanted. If you can believe it, we went back to more shopping again Sunday. Who said we had to go sightseeing on OUR vacation. Its OUR vacation...we can do what we want!

Finally after the late Sunday afternoon rolled around, we realized the museums were open only a couple more hours, so we dashed over to see some of them. But they were so crowded, we only tolerated about 45 minutes till we squeezed out the back door and couldn't bring ourselves to go into any others. I think we both hate crowds. (We're getting old, what can I say!) So we headed back to the hotel to rest up and get dolled up for dinner...
Here we are leaving for dinner our last night in D.C. We ate at a WONDERFUL mexican restaurant and then (tried) to enjoy a late night movie. (Poor Kelly was so excited to see Terminator III that she was completely dissappointed on our way out of the theatre.) It was ok, not THAT great. But overall, it was fun to get away, see some sights and do what girls do... shop shop shop.
Had to add that last photograph! See any similarities? There must be some reason why we both get along! We're both freaks! I know, but we have so much fun doing it! Next time I go on a vacation, I am gonna make sure my husband has a job so that I don't hyperventilate every time I get in a cab, buy a meal, or shop (a little?!) He is so good to me!

3 comments:

Ross and Kathy said...

HOLY COW!

Jacque said...

You guys look like kindred spirits! Sounds like fun. I want to fly far away to go shopping sometime, too! =)

Cammie said...

What a great weekend! I have heard so much about Kelly, it's great to see some of the pictures of the two of you together! Hurray for girl's weekends!