Tuesday, April 13, 2010

a day in the life

Just in case anyone needs to feel better about their life today... I woke up super tired today, and tried going back to sleep after Will left for school, but the baby was super fussy and finally woke up 10 minutes after I laid down. After I changed him (he pees all over his clothes at nearly every changing, this one included) I laid him in the bassinet and turned on the vibration and laid down, completely ignoring his angry cries. 10 minutes later, Alex woke up. I changed him and took him downstairs and tried to go back to sleep. Ella came up 20 minutes later to say that Alex had crawled up on the kitchen table and into the baby bouncer. I found him laying horizontally across the bouncer with his feet suspended in the air. I carried the bouncer to my room and laid down again. About 30 minutes later (I actually got some sleep!) I hear the toilet flushing over and over again. Found Alex standing over the toilet which was crammed full of baby wipes and bath toys. I had to pull these out of the toilet, and wash the floor and bathmat (washed that yesterday). Then, I came downstairs to see Ella neatly folding the entire box of baby wipes, which he had completely ravaged. I told her next time she should tell me when he empties the baby wipes (and we can hopefully avoid the whole toilet thing.)

A few short hours later, Ian needs a diaper change right when Ella's friend comes over to play and Alex has snuck into the backyard to play in all the fun rain puddles. I tell the girls to go to the friends' house, change the baby, try to get clean clothes for Alex, but find the closet has turned into a massive fort with blankets sticking out and the closet door is stuck. I get the clothes and lay the baby in the swing where he begins crying madly. I get Alex changed, start a movie for him, and then hear the girls exclaim that the dog has run out the front door and down the street. I try for 5 minutes to call back the dog and the girls finally leave. Did I mention the baby's been crying this whole time? When I finally come back inside, the baby is out, dog goes in her kennel, Alex is watching tv. Time for lunch.

7 comments:

Barney Family said...

Ooooooooooh! The horror!!

Hugs from mom said...

Sounds about right. Sleeping is overrated. These are the years of zombie mom.

Breanne said...

That was all before LUNCH?!!

Ross and Kathy said...

SHUDDER!

Nikki Jenson said...

Really feeling good about my life right now! Thanks Jacque! Even if Keala did shove a stick in her mouth and pierced the roof of it yesterday... traumatizing both her and me! Five popsicles later - alls well!

Adam said...

Hehe, and Breanne wanted to have more kids, too.

Breanne said...

yep, bring it on!