Thursday, October 14, 2010

JUST FOR FUN


The challenge for the woodturners club this month was to make something out of a 4"x 4"x 4" cube of ash. A fellow named David Springett does some pretty neat tricks with wood turning. So, I followed the instructions in his book, "Woodturning Wizardry" and this is what I got. It is turned from a solid piece of Ash. The spiked star is turned while inside the sphere and is one solid piece. There are a few simple tricks to it, but really pretty basic turning. It takes some time, but it was lots of fun and a good learning experience. The pedestal was made from an unknown tree branch just laying around, but I like the color contrast. Wish me luck; the meeting is one week from tonight.

7 comments:

Breanne said...

Wow! It looks quite impressive. I also like how the pedestal wraps around the lip of the sphere thing.

Hugs from mom said...

Oh c'mon, you know you're gonna win. I just keep thinking "can he do anything cooler?" And then you do, again and again and again.

Jacque said...

I'm just glad I got to see it in person! That stand turned out great!

Nikki Jenson said...

It really is absolutely beautiful!

Don and Lynne said...

It's just a beautiful, virtuosic achievement! Lynne thinks it bears resemblance to a medieval cudgel and Don thinks it looks like a bathysphere.

Ross and Kathy said...

It won!

Breanne said...

Did anyone doubt it? Congrats!