Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Ripple

The blog is silent and I am thinking of you...is there a way I can send a ripple into the reality being felt right now. And so one of Don's books of poetry fell into my hands and these fragments  -

Here between answer
and nothing, I stand, in the old shoes
flowed over by rainbows of hen-oil,
each shoe holding the bones
that ripple together in the communion
of the step
and that open out
in front into toes, the whole foot trying
to dissolve into the future.
















and if you commit then, as we did, the error
of thinking
one day all this will only be memory,

learn to reach deeper
into the sorrows
to come - to touch
the almost imaginary bones
under the face, to hear under the laughter
the wind crying across the black stones. Kiss
the mouth
that tells you, here,
here is the world. This mouth. This laughter. These temple bones.

A New Selected Poems by Galway Kinnell

6 comments:

Hugs from mom said...

Thanks Lynne. I'm too tired to really understand all of the meaning but the sentiment hit home and brought out all the emotion I've been holding in for too long.

Don and Lynne said...

Thank you Lauren. It sounds to me like you felt the meaning. Lots of love to you and your family and your sisters and brother.I know it is hard.

Jacque said...

That's a deep poem. I think it's incredible how much we cling to the way things are and want them to stay the same. Thank you for your kind thoughts. It is a relief to know that things are going much better than they could have. It's also amazing to see each of us contribute so much, help and support each other, and fulfill a special role in this. I'm grateful for my family!

Don and Lynne said...

I'm glad to know that things are going so much better than they could have. Lauren's email gave me that impression too. and Yes I do believe that your family gives you a lot to be grateful for.

Nikki Jenson said...

I spent a few quiet hours with mom yesterday and she was so alert, conversive, and improved, since her stroke on Saturday that it was easy to speak openly with her. She thoughtfully looked around the dining room at the other patients in rehab and said with tear-filled gratitude how much more fortunate she was than so many others. She has recovered so quickly we are all in awe and relief. I agree with Jacque, we get accustomed to the way life 'ought' to play itself out. After getting a snag in what you've become accustomed to... you can't help but feel slightly 'unglued'. I appreciate your reaching into our experience with this beautiful poem. Thank You.

Don and Lynne said...

I'm so glad to hear of your Mom's progress, and I am touched by your thoughts and feelings. Hope to see you and Brent in Hawaii in a couple of months :=) Show is over 2/11/11.