Saturday, June 6, 2009

Summer Family Reunion Plans

Hey everyone! Our family vacation is coming up pretty fast, it's only about fifty days away now. I wanted to give you the link to the website for the Duck Creek again: http://www.bryce-zion-duckcreekvillage-lodging-utah.com/

And the dates: July 28 - Aug 4

And, I wanted to go over some of the housekeeping details so we'll all know what is expected of us. I think we'll keep the food plan similar to how we did things last year, that is: each of the five girls take a dinner and bring up their own breakfast and lunch materials with extras for Dad, Kathy, Lynne and Adam. We'll plan on each family getting their own dinner on the first night--because everyone may be driving down at different times. And that will leave one night for a dinner out (Dad's treat, maybe in Cedar City). I'm planning on bringing BBQ beef brisket sandwiches with coleslaw for my dinner. I'd like each of the sisters to post a comment saying what dinner they are going to bring once they've decided, that will let those planning after you pick something different. And, Adam, will you bring up some drinks and snacks?

I also would like to create an agenda with what activities we would like to do while we are there. I'd like each family to make a suggestion for something they would like to do during the week. Then, we will make plans for each day and put all the information on a big poster board along with what time we are leaving, whether or not to have lunches packed for the day, etc. Everyone can choose to opt out of the big activity for the day and spend some time just relaxing, but if we have a plan we will save time each day trying to decide what to do, what time to leave, and avoiding miscommunications. So, glance at the website (they have many activity ideas), or google the area and see what you think your family would enjoy for an activity and let me know.

7 comments:

Barney Family said...

My activity suggestion is a day-trip to Bryce Canyon.

Nikki Jenson said...

I can bring chili and baked potatoes for dinner one night. (Or spagetti, sauce, and salad.) Please tell me if you don't like either of these suggestions and I will just go with the first or make a new suggestion.

Jacque said...

The Secret Garden is playing at the Shakespearean festival at 2 on Friday afternoon. We could always have dinner out afterwards??? There's other plays too, but maybe Secret Garden we could take kids to?

I have no idea what I'm making for dinner yet.

Jacque said...

Okay, I just saw prices for that, nevermind. $35 for the balcony!!!

Hugs from mom said...

I'll make family-style tacos for dinner. (Nikki, my kids LOVE spaghetti - if I can coax you that way.)

And you know me, my activity ideas are hike Bryce or Zions, or both. We could also take a tour of that Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, it's not too far from Bryce.

Jacque said...

Okay, I want to do a chicken/pineapple salad and maybe rolls and g/f muffins.

And I want to go to Cascade Falls for my activity and see water come through a lava tube and out of the side of a mountain.

Someone better choose Zions!

Breanne said...

It looks like there are a few lakes nearby, if one of them had jet ski rentals that might be fun for a day. But if I'm 13 weeks along I guess that won't be good for me? Still, it might be fun to go to a lake one day and rent a canoe, or play in the water or lay on the beach. Or I guess Lake Powell is a couple hours away, they'd probably have lots of rentals there. Also, they mentioned that horseback riding was available in the area, and that sounds fun to me, too. But can pregnant people not ride horses, either? I promise to not fall off.

I have no idea what I would make for a dinner. I'm intimidated because I hardly ever cook as it is, and never for more than two people, plus there's a potential for me to be very sick at that time. Right now I'm thinking that I will make some sort of meat & sauce mixture (maybe stew meat and potatoes?) that I can put into a few crock pots in the morning and serve over/with rice for dinner. But stew meat and rice? That doesn't sound right. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to try them out. And maybe some kind of salad or fruit salad.