Thursday, September 24, 2009

Its 'Hunting Season' - Again!

I actually wanted to title this post as 'Killing Season', but that sounded so dark. So I thought I'de change it to something that wouldn't shock you all. On the other hand, Hunting Season does start the 3rd week of October. I am now better informed of these things by the 'hunting pro' ...my husband. (And yes, he has informed me that there will be an 'excersion' that weekend with his 'dudes' -as Kai says). Brent wants to bring back some 'deer' since I have my new dehydrator (gross)! He wants me to try to dehydrate some for him - like I've done that before!? I think the 'buck' stops here and will not pass the doorway of my house! Women - we have to put our feet down on some of these things!

But I didn't want to talk about real 'Hunting Season' ... I want to talk about 'Killing Season'. Yes, friends, its THAT time of the year that we start setting out the mouse traps. (Its a very sad thing ...being that they're so cute and all!) But anyways, Brent set out the first trap last week and nothing happened for days. I took it as a good sign... (And we check it every day!) But then we forgot to do that after a while until ... the smell! Yes, there started to be a very distinct odor under our kitchen sink, and yesterday I came home to see my husband cleaning 'IT' out. Its almost a romantic 'tail' to tell. The trap caught one mouse and yes, it 'gave up the ghost'. But in the meantime, one of its buddies stuck by his side and 'gave up the ghost' right alongside him. And he wasn't even caught in the trap! Its bittersweet my friends!

Hours later! After the first 'mess' was cleaned up and a new trap was set ...I am sitting at the dinner table going over Kai's homework with him and SNAP! I heard the next trap spring and then thump thump, thump thump. (He was a fighter!) Austin was in the next room and I was yelling at him "its got one!"..."he's thumping around" ..."its gross!" Austin is just laughing. And then we all go to survey the situation ...poor little guy...right over the top of his head! This is one reason I am not looking forward to this 'time of year'!

5 comments:

Jacque said...

that is so disgusting. can't you plug up their entrance???

Nikki Jenson said...

Jacque you plug up all the little holes in your house and tell me how it goes! They can crawl in a space smaller than a quarter - they have no bones you know! j/k!

Breanne said...

Poor little mouse died with his friiiiend! That is the saddest mouse story I've ever heard.

Ross and Kathy said...

Kathys mom used to say,"You kill'em, You clean'em, I'll cook'em. Correction: it's rats that fit through a hole the size of a quarter. Mice have a skelleton the size of a pencil. When Grandpa Wally fought the Great Maui Mice Plague he had about sixty traps and his largest take for a single day was 120 - mostly outdoors - but not ALL! Be grateful.

Hugs from mom said...

Ahhhhhh! Gross! Dad, that is so creepy. Nikki, gross and sad all at the same time. Do we have nothing better to talk about as a family than mice and leeches? C'mon, anyone, something a little less disgusting?