Thursday, September 11, 2008

Doug is getting better

Well it is truly me. I am actually sitting up enough to type. Does not sound like a big feat but is huge for me. Looks like Erika has kept you very well up to date. I will just update you on last night and this morning.
Well I did not sleep barely at all last night (maybe 2 total hours). I went downstairs to try and let poor Erika get some sleep while I writhed around on the floor. Just like Monday I was unable to drink much and now my left kidney was killing me. I did not want to have to make Erika take me to the hospital again in the middle of the night so I tried to stick it out. I don't believe I have ever been in as much pain during any other ten day period in my life. Well I woke Erika up really early this morning and told her I might need to go to the hospital again. I told her I was barely holding down any food and my kidney felt like it would burst. I also could not urinate. So along with being constipated for roughly 9 days I also could not pee. It was terrible. I honestly thought I might die.
Well Erika immediately went to work on me and got me some good laxitives she had found from one of my surgeries several months ago. She also ran out to walmart and got me that really nasty tasting stuff (magnesium something or other) and made me drink it. The little relief I had all morning came when I was either in the shower or bath and had scalding hot water on my stomach and left kidney. Erika also called the doctor for me but I was not encouraged. They just wanted to bring me in and start an IV and IV drugs. If I never see a hospital again it will be too soon. They told me to keep trying to soak in the tub and call them in a few hours.
After sometime in the tub I started to push out massive amounts of flesh (clots) out my urinary tract. It hurt like crazy but It felt like I was making progress. As of about 3pm I am feeling so much better. Number one and two are starting to work better and I have not even needed to take a pain pill for several hours. I am really hoping this is the turning point and it gets easier from here.
Thanks for much for all your kind words of encouragement and all the prayers that were sent my and my family's way. I don't know if I would have been able to make it without them. The meals were also great and thanks for coming all the way up here to drop them off. I am hoping to eat some as leftovers in a couple days when I can have solids. It all smelled so good when Erika cooked them up. Thanks again everyone.

1 comment:

Jacque said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better, Doug! I had to laugh though that you thanked us for the dinners that you couldn't even eat!