Sunday, July 26, 2009

Zions and Bryce

I talked to someone in my ward today who just went to Zions and Bryce last week. She mentioned a few things I thought would be good to pass on. At Zions they took a very short hike (.4 miles round trip) called Weeping Rock. Looking on their website http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/zion/hiking_trails.htm I noticed two other trails Emerald Pool- Lower and Canyon Overlook, both 1 mile roundtrip that looked interesting. I realize we don't have a whole lot of time in Zions, so maybe looking at the options ahead of time would help. I heard also that although they have shuttles to take you into the park now, you can still drive and find a parking spot fairly easily if you want to have a picnic there.

*Important note: the cafe at Zions had really bad food. Might do better eating at the restaurant by the Lodge or in Sprindale where there are a few more choices???

Bryce: The Mossy Cave trail is supposed to be good here. About 1 mile roundtrip, as is the Bristlecone Loop trail. I think the rest are a bit more challenging. http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/bryce_canyon/hiking_trails.htm

*They also outline some good scenic drives on those websites, for when we don't feel like hiking.

I think I might be leaning toward skipping the Animal Sanctuary with my family, unless Will or Ella could just tag along. Something about that 7:45 wake up time is making me think about staying in my nice warm bed....

5 comments:

Ross and Kathy said...

Kathy and I ate at the "Spotted Dog" in Springdale and remember there were some additional really good resturants in town.

Ross and Kathy said...

Another thought about having dinner in Springdale. Some of the resturants are on the smallish side. I'm thinking someone (Jacque) should google 'resturants, Sprindale, UT' and call a couple with good reviews and see what they can do for a group of 20+. I can be a problem for some places. Here's another idea: it's a longer trip going through Cedar City, but there's a really nice resturant there called the Garden House. We might concider going there - I'm sure a reservation would be needed for a group our size.

Ross and Kathy said...

Jacque, Kathy and I spoke with a local guy today. He recommended Oscar's 772-3232 as excellent; Zion Pizza & Noodle 772-3815 as big enough for all us, and Bit & Spur 772-3498 as a very nice resturant. I don't know what else to tell you.

Jacque said...

I also read that some people liked the Spotted Dog. I'm not sure if "pizza and noodle" is a good idea with our wheat issues. Maybe we can just discuss it up there and call and make a reservation from the cabin. Sound good?

Ross and Kathy said...

I realized that "wheat issue" late last night. So, ya, we can decide what to do later today.