Friday, October 23, 2009

Doctor's visit

I saw my doctor the other day and I don't think either of us brought our A-game.

Him: So 24 weeks along!
Me: Yup!
Him: And it's another girl, huh?
Me: Well, this will be my first, actually.
Him: Your first? Really? How far along are you?
Me: 24 weeks. (Didn't we just cover this?) 25 on Thursday.
Him: Ok. And how is your swelling going?
Me thinking: What? Swelling? He's looking at my feet. I look at my feet. Oh, they are kind of swollen.
Me: Oh.
Him: Looks normal. Now have you been feeling your uterus tightening?
Me: ... What would that feel like exactly?
Him: (only struggling for words)
Me: Oh, you mean contractions? Yeah, I have those every once in awhile.
Him: Okay, that's normal, too.

Then he launched into a lengthy description about how if I don't feel the baby kick enough, I should lay on my side and if I don't feel the baby kick 6 times in one hour, I should go to the hospital. I mentioned this to Jacque and her opinion is that he's trying to make me a paranoid crazy lady.

What do you think?

4 comments:

Nikki Jenson said...

I'm paranoid after reading that! hello! Get a new doctor! what a weirdo!

Adam said...

Yeah, I think he must have phoned in that exam. By the way, how far along are you now?

Hugs from mom said...

Adam, you're so funny. Bre, get a new doctor. Good grief what an idiot. I hope you don't have one of those teams of doctors where you see a different one each time you go in. I had that with Dallin and it drove me bonkers. The guy that delivered Dallin I had actually never met.

Better luck next time I guess.

Breanne said...

I actually like that doctor. I just don't think communication was working that day.