Monday, January 5, 2009

More With Water and Music

So, the other day at Lauren's house we were talking about music and water. Erika was opening up Matti's Christmas present from Santa which was a Speedo waterproof ipod! Doug mentioned how water amplifies music so it sounds all mumbled in the water. (And Nikki mentioned how whales change their speech when humans [try to communicate with them]--look under "comments" for her explanation.)

Anyway, at church the other day, the subject came up again. One of my co-worker's husbands is a composer and he made a cd to go along with a new workout they were doing where you work out slowly and then as fast as you can for 30 seconds, followed by a 2 minute cool down. I mentioned how they've made cds to help you fall asleep, too, where the music goes along with your body rhythms for falling asleep. So, that prompted my other friend to mention how they've said that because our bodies are made up of 70% water, music really resonates within us. (It is even amplified!) So, like when we hear something really beautiful, it can give us chills. And probably it really affects our mood and how we feel physically from the inside out. Anyway, I thought that was really neat, and I thought I'd add to the conversation!

(I also started thinking of the phrase Living Water and it started to take on new meanings, too.)


By the way, when I was looking for images to post on here, I came across a new instrument that uses water instead of air to produce sound. It's called a hydraulophone or H2Oboe if anyone wants to google it.

2 comments:

Nikki Jenson said...

I have been misquoted! I said!: When scientists have translated whale-speak and try to communicate with whales, they discovered that whales will change their whole language so that the scientists can't interpret them anymore. I will look this one up! I saw it on the nature channel. thank you very much!

Jacque said...

lol sorry, I don't think any of us understood what you were saying. That makes much more sense. Did you know that elephants and giraffes communicate, too? It's such low vibrations that we can't hear it! And the low vibrations can travel for miles so that other elephants or giraffes far away can hear. (okay maybe not miles, but far away)